RPG market and its growth
The RPG genre stands for (Rol-Playing-Game) and is a video game genre characterized by mechanics such as:
- Character development and progression.
- System of missions or confrontations between players.
- Battles in real time or in turns.
- Use of equipment and items.
To create a successful RPG game it is essential to know the motivations of our players. According to studies carried out in the United States, the United Kingdom, South Korea and Japan, the main factors for playing RPG games are:
- Stress relief, relaxation.
- Killing time, entertainment.
- Power and illusion when playing.
- Escapism from everyday life.
- Immersion in virtual worlds and narrative curiosity.
After analyzing different market studies we can draw the following conclusions:
- With a 19.3% market share, the RPG game genre is the leading genre in profits in the smartphone sector. This demonstrates the feasibility and profitability of creating products for this genre.
- Mechanics related to character creation and development, loot and gacha mechanics are common systems in RPG games as they lead the monetization opportunities and are responsible for the economic success of the genre.
- 50% of the highest grossing RPG games on the market come from unknown IPs prior to release. This shows that players are very receptive to new universes and characters in the genre like AFK Arena, V4, Nexus, Blade & soul, Puzzle & Dragons or Genshin Impact.
The health of the gaming sector is indisputable and the historical growth of the RPG genre from 2018 to 2021 has been 17%. This trend creates a good market sentiment regarding the genre and an expectation of further growth in the future.